Tuesday, May 15, 2007

And that one is up...


Yesterday's high winds and heat made me hope for one of those crackling summer storms- even though it is only early May. I love it when the weather gets a little wild. But I don't love it when that wildness knocks down old old trees. About 3 years ago I was driving with two year old Theo in the back seat through a neighborhood nearby just after one of those storms. We came to a block that was littered with downed trees and branches. It hurt my heart. I must have gasped and said, "Oh Theo, look at all of these trees that were blown down." There was silence for a while, and I imagined that he was sharing my grief- which was quite real and present for me. And then his little voice popped up, "But look Mom, that one is up, and that one is up....that one is up, and that one....and that one is up..." He literally kept up this chorus for 5 full minutes. By the end of his recitation I had begun to be convinced that the toppling of those few trees, in that one section of town, shouldn't get me so down. I also realized that given his perspective from his car seat, he probably couldn't even see the downed trees! But now that he is 5 and his head pops up above the window he keeps the same attitude. He is a wonderful partner to go through this life with!

No comments: