Thursday, December 27, 2007

A little hut in the woods....

For about the past year, Theo has periodically declared that when he grows up he is going to live in a little hut in the woods. There will be no girls there. Just the dragons he trains. He has put some serious thought into how this is all going to work out. Anyway- yesterday we had the boys out to Battle Creek Park to ski. It was an absolutely gorgeous day- pretty warm, the trees decorated with frosty snow, and two lovely sets of ski tracks leading off into the woods. Eli and I set off and I immediately realized that I was dressed too warmly, so I left him on his own as I dashed back to the car to change coats. On the way I passed Jon and Theo crawling down the path at Theo's none-too-blistering pace. I told Jon that Eli was off ahead, heading out on his own and I would catch up to him. Apparently Jon decided to catch up to Eli, figuring I would come across Theo quickly because he is so not-fast. I did. He was skiing down the path, entirely alone, with a blissful smile on his face. When I caught up to him he said, "Mom, this is what it's going to be like!!! This is what it will be like when I live alone in my hut in the woods. Just me. And all the animals I've trained, of course, so I won't be alone. And I'll get them all little booties so they can run through the snowy woods with me!!" He was in heaven. I felt very un-needed, but I couldn't help gettting caught up in Theo's excitement and his love of being in the woods. I'm starting to think that he really is going to go through with this hut plan of his. Maybe much sooner than I orginally thought. The only problem I can foresee, is that he will have to learn how to pick up his skiing pace, or his hut is going to have to be real close to all the commodities he needs. The kid has a wonderful time out on his skies, and has no worries that he only goes about .5 mile per hour.

No comments: