Saturday, April 4, 2009

It's a bummer when....

As I was searching my one small box of 'memorabilia' in the basement (neither Jon nor I are keepers and we really only have one box each down there from yesteryear) for some old letters for Eli (new stamp collector) I found a book I had made as a child. It was titled "Bummers" and each page started with either "It's a bummer when..." or "Don't you hate it when..." It produced quite a few laughs. Eli's favorite was "Don't you hate it when your ice cream cone drops into the dog dish and your mom makes you eat it anyway". We started making up new bummers. My first and most important one is this: It's a bummer when you get out of the shower and you are all fresh and clean and you sit down to go to the bathroom, only to realize that SOMEONE has forgotten to raise the seat while he pees and there is urine all over the seat, only now it is on your fresh clean bottom!! Kind of long, I admit, but you have to agree that the degree of bummer-tude is high.
Then, this am, Theo woke up and came downstairs. Before he eats he can be a bit of a grump sometimes. This morning he was the last down and most of the waffles had been eaten, but I presented him with a plate piled 4 high. When he ran upstairs to use the bathroom (and undoubtedly pee on the seat) before eating, Jon snatched one. Theo returned, saw his diminished pile and got a little grouchy. I told him that there was one more in the waffle iron and he decided to wait for it and then dig into all 4 at once. He waited, and waited, while I got distracted cleaning up the kitchen. After much time I saw him waiting and went to check on the waffle. It was burnt to a crisp. Like a cracker. I took it out and made apologetic noises about the ringer not working so we were not alerted to it's completion. He scowled. Thought about a hissy fit and how much he might enjoy it. I saw it all cross his face. And then he says, "It's a bummer when the waffle dinger doesn't work and your fourth waffle burns to a crisp like a cracker." And he tucked into the other three with a smile.

No comments: