Friday, August 28, 2009

Winding down

The end of summer is within spitting distance. I think I could hit it with a watermelon seed if I tried. I have to say that the summer of 2009 has been an all around delight. I loved the slightly cooler weather, the boys got along splendily (except for when they didn't- but that was limited), and we managed to take some fabulous outings with fantastic people. We just got back from a quick tool around southeastern Minnesota. It is lovely down there- the farm fields were bursting with the dark green of mature crops while the grasses were starting to get coppery in the sun. The Amish were clopping down the shoulder of the highway in their buggies and the sun came out everytime we felt we needed to warm our bones a bit. Before we left I was stressing a bit about getting our camping gear all packed it up, but watching the boys delight in zipping into their sleeping bags, or toasting a marshmellow to Sage-level perfection, or puzzling with their pals Siena and Paloma over the destination of a geocache, made the really quite minor pack up more than worth it.

No comments: