Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Inheritance

The other day after school my dad slipped me a 16 oz can of Houdini.  He does have a habit of slipping me odd little things when I least expect it, so I took it in stride.  But as he explained what this Houdini was and why he has it and exactly how much he has, I realized that he might be slipping me Houdini on quite a regular basis, for the rest of his life.  Apparently he was introduced to this wonder product by the maintenance team at the Florida condo where he and Jean stayed in November.  As far as I can tell it's much like WD40, only with a better name.  It can ease up any lock you squirt it into.  And creaky hinges, and squeaky doors, and you name it....probably would help my achy hip a hell of a lot more than my dumb old stretches do.  Now, I realize that a seaside condo with the salty ocean breezes may experience more rusty lock issues than other places, but the way my dad tells it, seeing the maintenance team with their handy can of Houdini was a regular experience.  And it wowed dad every time, the results this Houdini could bring on.  Made me wonder if just maybe Rodg was creating tasks for the handymen while he was in Florida just to get another chance to see the amazing product do it's job.

When he got home he looked around for his own Houdini supplier.  Found it.  But the only way to purchase it was by the case.  Now, I'm not sure how many bottles come in a case, but I'm guessing at upwards of 24.  And knowing that the can of WD40 I have in my basement was purchased in probably 1982 and is still going strong....well, makes me think that Rodg is going to be handing out cans of Houdini for the rest of his life.  Hey, you're having a birthday?  Here's a can of Houdini!  Happy graduation Eli!  Here's some Houdini!  You know how those locks can stick in college!  Christmas stockings, anniversaries, new jobs, all opportunities to give away a little Houdini love.  Ours sits next to it's WD40 cousin in the basement, awaiting a call to action.  I noticed this morning that the doorknob in the kitchen is acting up, I may just have to pull it out and give it a try this afternoon.  Watch for a testimonial here soon! 

PS.  I am fairly sure I saw my dad messing with the same doorknob last Wednesday.  I think he might have been sabotaging it so that I had to give my Houdini a try.  Couldn't wait for me to get on the Houdini bandwagon on my own time, could he?

No comments: