Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Helping me get some perspective

This past Sunday Theo and I enjoyed a lovely visit to the St. Paul Farmer's Market.  Peapods, astonishingly beautiful lettuce (I've never thought of lettuce as good-looking before, but this stuff just is), jerky from the jerky lady, a few plants for the garden and some gifts for teachers.  But on the way home, when I stopped to by some more mulch, I pulled out $20 only to realize that it was stuck to another one (fresh from the ATM they were) and both myself and the cashier at the store barely realized it.  A quick perusal of my billfold found that this was not the first time that 20s had stuck together that morning.  I must have paid at least once with $40 and received change for $20.  Not that anyone was trying to cheat me, just those were some very sticky bills.  I was a bit put out about this until Theo piped up from the back seat with this:  "Well Mom, those farmers work so hard and make good stuff and no one ever tips them.  They deserve a real nice tip every now and then."  True.  Just kind of wish I could have been in charge of the size of my tip.  But it did make that pill go down a bit easier.
Later in the day Eli and I were standing on the deck looking at the garden when a chipmunk darted into the new corn seedling patch, dug up a plant and dashed away.  This brought our attention to the other missing seedlings and the neat little holes left by this chipmunk earlier.  I might have cursed, quietly of course.  Eli gave me an affectionate pat and said, "Well Mom, take a look at those perfect little holes already dug for whatever you might want to plant next."
Thanks guys.  Your bright side perspective is helpful.  But I might still invest in a BB gun to keep the chippies at bay.  I will not shoot to kill.  Just to scare.

No comments: