Monday, December 16, 2013

Home again home again, jiggety jig?

Well, we spent the weekend before moving back home cleaning this place from top to bottom.  The dust was so thick that it instantly was in my mouth, eyes.  But by the end of the weekend it seemed livable.  We then retreated back to Hudson for a few more days of cleaning out there.  Unfortunately, after getting my parents' mostly cleaned up we had an epic toilet back up.  It involved some cursing on my part.  Ended with a call to a plumber who quickly fixed it up and handed us a bill.  Worth it, however.

Our timing was not ideal.  As I was putting the last few bags in the car out in Hudson, Jon texted to say that the crew was just finishing blowing in insulation and we should stay out of the house for the next 24 hours.  Really?  I had a car load of all our gear, it was about 0 degrees, the boys were on the bus headed toward Brimhall, and my parents were moving back into their house that afternoon.  I tried to stay calm but my recently acquired case of hives indicated that I was stressed.  I think I was about 70% covered by the time I pulled up in front of our house.  I quickly unloaded the car, agreed that it smelled bad and we shouldn't stay there and awaited the boys.  They were excited to be home, so not so excited when I told them to quick pack an overnight bag, we were headed to New Brighton.

But now we are in, at least for the short term.  It's crowded and cold and dusty, but the fireplace works, we put  up a small tree, and we are working out some systems.   Boys have been wonderful so far about trekking down to the dark dusty basement to help out with dishes.  And as they love quesadillas, our griddle/microwave fare has not bothered them.  Yet.  The laundry drying rack gets moved from room to room as we change our position throughout the day, and the lack of water on the first floor is constantly surprising.  Not sure why.

Luckily I just finished reading Half the Sky, about oppression of women around the globe, so I am able to realize that while this situation is mildly uncomfortable and frustrating, we are still extremely priviliged.  Hoping to be able to concentrate on that over the next few weeks and get to the other end of this minor disruption with some grace.

No comments: