Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Power of Butterflies

A few weeks back I volunteered to chaperone my son's field trip to the science museum.   I love this museum, but going with 50 7th graders was a bit daunting.  I could hear them from about two floors away- a lot of energy in those kids.  It was amazing to see how everyone slowed down, quieted down, mellowed out when we walked in to the butterfly tent.  As there were butterflies everywhere- even on the ground, the behavior of the kids morphed dramatically.  They walked slowly, watching their feet.  The spoke in near-whispers, letting out gasps and giggles as the butterflies settled on hands, heads, faces.  If one landed on a 7th grader, the beam that spread across the face was fabulous.  This reaction was universal.  It was lovely.  I will chaperone that trip again.  In fact, I'd be willing to pay to go along.

No comments: