Thursday, September 20, 2007

My eyeballs

I've had to take a break from writing due to my recent Lasik surgery. I scratched up my glasses up at DuNord again. I thought I had learned my lesson, but I am just so anxious to see the stars from in the lake post-sauna. Of course my glasses are steamed up from putting them on while I am so darn hot, and I carefully try to wipe the lenses so I can see what the others are gasping about. It never works. And I end up needing a new lens every year after DuNord. This year, my brother Pete wondered why I didn't just get new lenses in my actual eyes through Lasik surgery. He is a believer. So are four of my other siblings and in-laws. So, before I could actually think it through, I signed up. Then this is how they get you- you can't wear contacts for the few weeks prior to the surgery. I was so dang sick of peering through my scratched up lenses that I was very determined to go through with it.
I found out that I had to get the more involved type that includes scraping off the cells from the front of your lens. OF your eyeballs. The trick to getting this surgery is Valium. They give it to you and THEN they tell you about the 'burning hair' smell you might notice. That's not hair. That's your eyeball. Even loaded up on valium I entertained thoughts of bolting when the smell hit my nostrils. But I was too jellified to act. Which was good, because there was a lazer actively engaged with the back of my eye. That smell was in my dreams for quite a while.
The 7-10 days until I could resume regular activities was misleading. I thought I'd resume with crystal clear vision, but that was not the case. I was very very foggy until today- day 21. I did resume lots of stuff, but at a risk to myself and others. Several times I drove to somewhere, only to realize that I should not drive home. Sometimes I drove anyway, other times I called for a lift. And the wind still does me in, so biking is still out. But I see it in my future.
Here are other things I long for: Cross-Country skiing without my glasses fogging up! Swimming without glasses, or without super dried up, crinkly contacts. Snuggling and reading books with my kids without my glasses poking someone. Running in the rain. And most of all, I can not wait to sauna at DuNord, then jump in the lake and see the stars. I hear that they are wonderful, but every single sauna lake jump thus far has been blind. I can't wait.
I still have some healing to do. Computer screens still do me in after just a few minutes, and I have not read a book for three weeks. That is torture for me! But I see it coming. I'm getting close.

No comments: