Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Outclassed by an 8 year old

Tonight as I was getting dinner ready I said to Eli, "It's your dad's birthday, why don't you set the table real nicely." Then I went back to cooking. Next time I looked Eli had put a tablecloth out, sprinkled the table with seashells, and had grabbed two candles off of the spiral wall hanging thing in the living room. He then proceeded to get out an assortment of bowls and plates, along with real fancy beer mugs. He asked Jon to make sure he put the food into nice serving dishes. A discerning reader will discover two things in the previous sentence: 1. Jon was helping prepare his own birthday dinner (oops) and 2. we don't usually use serving dishes but just plop the pan down on the table. I then came along and at the last minute set a plastic container of pita crisps out on the table. They were immediately returned to me with the request to put them on a serving tray. I complied. Then we ate a wonderful candlelight dinner. Partway through the meal I said, "Eli, you were right, the pitas definitely needed to be in a serving dish." He rolled his eyes and said, "Mom, anyone with ANY sense of romance would not serve something up in a plastic container!" Ok then oh mighty resource on romance.

No comments: