Friday, May 2, 2008

Slot machine eyeballs

So I've been having these vision disturbances for a while now.... I'll be looking at something, and when I go to look at something else it's like my eyeballs are in a slot machine and someone just pulled the arm down. My vision goggles around, refusing to focus on anything. This lasts for about five minutes and makes me want to puke. Mostly from the dizzy feeling, but certainly partly from anxiety. Then all the sudden it's like the three diamonds come up on the slot machine and I can see again. When this first started a year ago, I talked to my eye doctor and we were both convinced that it was from my new job responsibilities which put me in front of a computer screen for hours on end. But then it started happening away from the computer, and first thing in the morning, and a bit more frequently....so I went in to see my doctor, fairly convinced that it was a new manifestation of the ocular migraines I get every now and then. She listened to my symptoms and calmed me right down by saying, "We need to get you set up with an emergency visit to an opthamologist! Today!" Love that. So I drove up to Roseville thinking for sure my retinas were going to detach and pop out on to the dashboard. I was put through a battery of tests. I did enjoy some of them and was particularly impressed that all of the figures that I got to stare at trying to find the secret number in the pattern were bound in this discreet little black leather-bound book. I liked that touch of class. Anyway. After an hour of the technician poking and proding my eyeballs with various high tech machines, the doctor came in and after one simple test which only utilized his left hand and me staring at his face, he diagnosed my problem. Seems as I'm getting old. My old eye muscles can't rein in my eyeballs as well as they used to and when fatiqued they have a tendancy to goggle around like they are in a slot machine when I change my focus from far to near. He then said, "Now, you're not yet at the typical age for reading glasses, which is 40..." He sure is right there. I have at least 8 months and 18 days until I hit that number. "....And you don't really need the readers yet to actually read the text, but you've got to give your eyes a little break....." He convinced me that I wasn't so far gone that I have to carry them everywhere or be at risk of having to ask for help in reading the bill for dinner, but that if I'm kicking back with the New York Times, I should slip them on. Kicking back with the New York Times? What does he think I am, middle-aged???? He left me with the suggestion that I pick up the weakest pair at a drugstore. So here I sit, typing away with my fancy new reading glasses perched on my nose. Dang.

No comments: