Monday, April 28, 2008

Helping Out the Neighbors

Our nextdoor neighbors have put their house on the market and had an open house yesterday afternoon. Right as the event was starting, I was out on the porch cleaning up and I heard the boys out back. Theo was asking if he should shoot his new squirt gun at the 'go-passers'. I intervened and asked him his intentions- he wanted to squirt passing cars, which I nixed. So they went back to happily trying to anilihate each other. I wandered inside and shortly heard a doorbell ring. Thinking it was my boys locked out back, I yelled (very) loudly: 'Come on in you hooligans!!!!'. When no one came in, I went to get the back door. It was unlocked, but sure enough, there were the boys. I asked them why they rang the bell when it was unlocked and they assured me they had not been ringing any bell. So sheepishly I went to the front door and opened it to find an open-house-goer. She and her family were interested in the house, but were not excited about the one car garage and were wondering how much it cost to excavate our 2-car space. I told her we didn't know because we had just done the deck. Then I started babbling to cover my embarrassment about calling her a hooligan earlier. I told her that we loved our deck and we were out there alllllll the time. The boys, who were charmingly standing behind me, fully armed, seconded this. Eli added, "You may have seen us out there leaning over the fence squirting...." She assured us she had. She didn't hear Eli say that they were just trying to give a rabbit in the neighbor's yard a drink of water.... I don't think we did the neighbors any favors. We'll have to get our act together for the next open house.

No comments: