Sunday, April 6, 2008

Reading Fool(s)

Every night for the past week Eli has approached bedtime with the same question: Which book should I read tonight? This is because over the spring break, he finished a chapter book a day. Long books. Sometimes two in a day. So today around 3pm I decided to head off the problem by taking him to the library and getting him 5 books. I thought it would get us through a week or so. It is 8pm and he is currently reading the third book he brought home. And the intervening 5 hours included dinner, an evening of playing games, and a bath. But somehow he managed to polish off two whole books and is on page 57 of the next one. Apparently we will be going back to the library by Tuesday. Yikes.

In related news- I was watching Theo page through a book earlier this evening and he was really spending time puzzling over each word. He caught me looking at him and said, "I can't help it, I'm just really really interested in reading right now." So we got out an easy reader and sure enough, he read it! He is off and running and I think he will be as voracious as his brother before we can blink our eyes. We will have to take trips to the library with empty crates to carry home our load of books. Daily.

No comments: