Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rodg tries to cast a spell on my oven

This morning I made up some delicious muffin batter- my mouth was watering as I went to put them in the oven. Imagine my rage when I found the oven cold as can be. (Are you wondering if I wanted to punch someone in the face, Amy?) It appeared as if the oven had up and died. I called my parents to see if Rodg might have any hints up his sleeve on how to jumpstart an oven, and Jean said, "Ha, that's funny, Rodg just mentioned on Saturday that you will be needing a new oven soon." What? Rodg has been casting a little witch doctory voodoo on my oven? Is he jealous of my bread making skills? My cookie making? And he stooped to this level, rather than just asking for some hints and help? Rather low of my father, but the damage was done. So the boys and I settled for cereal and toast and then I ushered them off to school. A while later I went to the Y to ride one of the dang bikes since the rain was keeping me off the roads. As I tossed my bag into a locker I noticed out of the corner of my eye that I was going to get to bike next to a pretty foxy guy. I saddled up on the bike and looked again- lo and behold, the foxy guy was my husband! Our workouts overlapped by 25 minutes and we had an actual conversation. It was thrilling. And in the middle of it I mentioned the dead oven. I did say that the conversation was thrilling- didn't I? Anyway, I saw Jon reaching back into the very dusty corners of his brain, and he pulled out a life saver- or a muffin saver- a little memory of a slip of paper that was taped to the stovetop the day we moved into our house over five years ago. "Wasn't there some note about certain timing levers having to be pushed in or pulled out or something?" Yes! I rushed home and found three very very dusty little levers over in the corner of the 'control panel' on the stove. I would like to note that none of these timers actually work to time anything, but apparently they serve a higher function. After trying every last permutation of pushing in and pulling out, one finally worked and the oven popped back into action. So HA Dad- your little trick did not work! I rescued the muffin batter from the fridge and baked them right up. The boys came home from school and we pigged out. Sorry we didn't save any for you, Rodg!

No comments: