Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Black Hills


They are actually quite beautiful. We stayed mostly within Custer State Park and so avoided the tourist trappings of the nearby towns. We did venture out to view Mount Rushmore and now I am absolutely positive that I never need to do that again. Remind me of that early and often if you ever see me heading toward the Black Hills again. On the way out, we did venture into the most noble Corn Palace and Wall Drug. Both offered up great temptations to our boys and did indeed manage to capture a good chunk of their allowance money. The first pic is of Eli doing the "Matt dance" (have you watched that youtube video?) at Mount Rushmore. Here are the three of us at the PEAK of little Devil's Tower. And finally, Eli's most proper response whenever I ask him to do the dishes or help set up the tent. "Yes, oh my most powerful and wise mother."

As we were heading toward the small town of Hot Springs to check out the Mammoth Site (recommended by travel guru Pete Nielsen- you should check it out) we stumbled upon Hot Springs Creek. The boys delighted in trying to fight the current and then turning around and letting it carry them downstream. The creek was nice and warm and the boys would have stayed there forever if we had let them. Another highlight of the black hills was watching those cute little prairie dogs bark and yap at each other. I decided that I like my wildlife pint sized. The buffalo ARE dangerous. Even from a distance and from within my sturdy Suburu that was very clear to me.

No comments: