Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Isolation Chamber

Sometimes when we are working through these long summer afternoons I lose track of old Theo. After a while I realize I haven't heard him for a while. Then I remember to go out back and listen real closely. Sure enough, I usually hear a faint murmer coming from within the rolled up hammock. Jon and I call this the 'womb' or the 'isolation chamber' and Theo seems to be called to spend some time there every now and then, especially after a long afternoon of tusseling with Eli. He gets in, lies on his back and then pulls the cloth sides up and around him until the only clue that he is in there is the slight lump his body makes in the center and the quiet little murmur that is carried on the wind as he whispers himself a tale where he is the biggest and boldest and there are no big brothers around.

No comments: