Sunday, September 28, 2008

Farmers' Market

Early this summer I started reading Barbara Kingsolver's latest book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I only got in a few chapters before getting distracted, but I got a little inspired by her tale of her family's quest to eat locally for one year. I hear that I stopped in a good place, that as the book goes on it just gets a bit depressing and overwhelming. But after just two chapters I was all fired up to try to introduce more fresh, local, foods into our life. I became very dedicated to the farmers' market, making it every week that we were in town. Each week I ventured into new products- first falling in love with the eggs, then buying meat sticks for the boys' lunches, and most recently going agog over the melons. I don't think I can ever buy a grocery store melon out of season again. The ones that are in the market right now are absolutely lip-smacking. If you haven't tried one yet- get down there next weekend. The greens are back and look delicious, the peppers keep turning up in eye-popping colors, and the late-season bouquets are abolutely stunning. Before too long the market will just dwindle down to eggs, meats, and cheeses- so go now while there is still plenty of produce!!

No comments: