Sunday, September 28, 2008

Goodbye to summer

It's been almost a month since I have taken the time to sit down and write a little. We have been busy getting back into the swing of the school year- figuring out new schedules, rearranging the boys room to make room for a place to do homework, and enjoying the last gasp of warmth here in Minnesota. If my memory serves me correctly, September served us up some glorious weather. Sunny and bright, with some days topping out in the 80's. My brother bought a boat and had us down last weekend. Who would have guessed that in late Septmeber the kids would have been swimming in the lake? But it was almost hot and they report that it felt great. I got my feet wet once when Theo got knocked backward by a hyper german shepard puppy. But that was enough for me.
This weekend I am seeing signs of what is to come....the sun hasn't been out since it set Friday evening, with mist and fog prevailing. Theo and I took the hint and rearranged our furniture to cluster around the fire place, and we made sure the light bulbs all worked in the many lamps that have not been on all summer. And then we did get ourselves outside to meet some friends for a walk in a park. An obscure park that consists of intertwining trails through thick woods. My friend insists it is called "Murder Park" and when we stumbled upon the corrogated tin shanty I began to believe. But it was just what the kids (and me) needed after a restless day indoors. They sprinted down wooded paths, dug into animal tunnels, (I am very glad they still have all their fingers) and collected the brilliant red leaves of the sumac that is turning. We somehow made our way back to our cars -a little damp, a little chilled, but exhilirated by being outside, even when the weather wasn't glorious. Now we just have to remember to keep doing that. For the next 9 months.

Hard to believe that the pictures below were just taken last weekend.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Impressive! God Bless