Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The dreaded virus

It rampaged our house- only Eli has remained unscarred. On Sunday I was sure I would never do anything productive again. On Monday I was certain that now that I could eat again that I would only provide my body with leafy greens and organic fruits. And on Tuesday....I broke into the chips. It's been a long time since I was brought so low by a germ.

Before the illness, we were busy whirlwinding through December, with parties and outings and doings galore. Jon and I have never seen so much of each other. At my staff party (after which Jon had to admit that I do work with a humorous, fun bunch) there was the much anticipated white elephant exchange. My co-workers took pity on Eli when he was stuck with the book "The Baby Whisperer" and took it off his hands. He ended up with the 'best white elephant gift ever!' which has since sat in it's box on the radiator. But Theo did dig through it and found a little book about the hula- including a flower comb for your hair. He put it in and taught himself a few steps. Never have I been so enamored with him. He was so serious, and adorable. Here he is:

After hitting the British Ad Awards with DuNordian pals I found myself longing for summer and lazy days sitting on the dock dangling my feet in Burntside Lake. This school year stuff makes time move so dang fast, it's hard to get my bearings.

After Jon and I went to the Dan Wilson concert, I sang myself "Hand on my Heart" for the next 36 hours. It's playing right now. Love that skinny 50-something guy.

And after 3 long weeks of exams and appointments and waiting- Eli is bespectacled. Turns out that the kid couldn't see much. During the wait, I wasn't sure if he was disappointed or excited about the upcoming change for him-he stayed so low key about it. When he expressed worries that he might start looking like a mole when he took his glasses off (apparently that is the fate of his friend Simon) I thought, disappointed. Then, the night before they were to be picked up, when he skipped dinner, then awoke at 5 am, ready to start his day, I thought, excited. Yep, he was excited. By now he might be disappointed, but I don't think that has happened yet. He is still thrilled to have them on, look at something, pull them down, look again, and be wowed by the difference. And I think that he thinks that he looks pretty cool. He does. But older.

Here's hoping that he continues to ward off the germ that is probably still lurking somewhere in our house. I have taken antibiotic wipes to any and all surfaces, but this one seems wiley. We have so many more doings to do in December that I don't know if we can handle another slow down. I do admit that having to sit on the couch and watch Harry Potter 1 and 2 with the kids was a nice break from the action. But it is time to jump back in.

No comments: