Friday, March 6, 2009

The Call

Yesterday I got the call. It's one I've been expecting for some time. From Expo Elementary- Theo's school. Lately he has been really working on his risk taking- as in increasing it. He's always had this propensity but now it seems as if he is carefully grooming it. The other day we were skiing out at Willow River with Jean and Rodg. Eli, Jean, and I were out ahead because Eli moves at a significantly quicker pace than his younger brother. Until he hits a hill- going down. Eli is back to the knees together, snowplowing, pole picking, granny-style downhill. Even though he goes about 2.3 miles per hour, he does enjoy it. So, while we were waiting for Theo and his entourage to catch up we went down this littlish hill twice. Eli was just leveling out at the bottom after a careful decent when Theo came around the corner. "A hill!!!" he screamed, then rushed forward, striding wildly until he started to glide downward- whereupon he instantly goes into the tuck. He triumphantly pumped his fist in the air as he passed by his brother at the bottom- thrilled. Then, last Wednesday, while my mom and dad were watching all three grandboys, Theo decided to climb up into the top bunk. This is usually not a problem, but with Max over it takes a new angle. Max is at that place where he is ready to follow his big cousin Theo to the ends of the earth- or atleast to the top bunk. And what does Theo do next? Jumps. Jean caught Max before he followed suit.
So back to the call. I walked into my office just as the phone started ringing. Sure enough, it's Betty, the Expo secretary. She has Theo sitting there next to her. He's alright. He just fell off the top of the slide out on the playgroud. Broke his fall with his head. He's got an icepack on it, but they are pretty sure that they are going to be sending him home at the end of the day with a pretty big bump. I asked if I should come pick him up but she assured me that he seemed fine. So I asked, "If he's fine, do mind leaning over and asking him if he learned anything from this??" Turns out she did mind- but she was more than willing to let me ask him that. I didn't. Not right then, because when he got on the phone there was still a trace of a sniffle in his voice. But here's hoping he did a little learning as he tumbled through the air.

No comments: