Friday, May 22, 2009

The Deep

Theo is 'the deep' I'm talking about. The kid has a current that runs deep and when he's in it, he churns out some pearls of wisdom. There have been several lately, but I haven't taken the time to capture them and write them down, so they're gone. But atleast I heard them as they bubbled out of him and was wiser for it, for the moment anyway. Today while I was volunteering at his school my task was to put together the book of poetry for the first grade class poetry recital next week. The poems were all wonderful-many of them followed a formula of sorts- starting with a noun and loving that noun and then describing the different kinds of that noun- Planets, I love planets, red planets, blue planets..... Others started off with "I wonder"- one child's poem that wondered when his dad was going to come home from war made me put my hand on my heart and blink for a while. Then I got to Theo's- completely different from the others. Here it is as he just recited it to me:
The Deep
The deep's blackness
Settles on fish
A narwhal jumps
and then the blackness swallows it
The deep's blackness
Settles on fish

I love it. And here's a little piece from a short story type thing he typed up himself the other day. It was about five times the length of the piece below- all typed with one little finger that would type one letter, then wiggle the loose front tooth, then type a letter, then wiggle. How he kept the narrative going at that pace I will never know, but I like the story:
You decide to go in the cave. The cave is dark. But you can see a little bit. You hear a eerie sound. The entrance is blocked so you have to go deeper in the cave. You go deeper and deeper. Until you see light. You wonder if you turned around. To find out you follow the light, finally you reach the source. It is the world change. Clouds swirl and dip. “wow’’.

No comments: