Friday, October 2, 2009

Crackin' me up

I just went on my first run since back in August. I've been nursing a knee/hip injury of some sort and have taken to biking everywhere instead of trying to run. It's been fun. I would like to state for the record that I biked to work for the entire month of September. Didn't drive once. Granted, it was the driest, warmest September in ages and my work is only 3 miles away AND I only work 3 days a week, but bike I did. I've been biking to the grocery store, my class over by the dome, target, my parents' house (and they live in a different STATE!). If I keep going at this rate I just might go rig up the 30 year old burley as a grocery/errand cart, string it up with some christmas lights, add a rearview mirror or two to my helmet and get really serious about bike commuting. We shall see.
But today it is in the high 40's and misting which is my absolute favorite running weather, so I cracked out the new running shoes and headed out. It was lovely. I tried to ignore the irritating strain in my knee, but in terms of lungs and heart, apparently my biking has been doing me fine. So I end with this short little burst up the hill on Niles to Brimhall and I'm feeling really good, like I am almost thinking that runners are on to something. I slow it down to a walk (which, really, isn't slowing it down much) and I'm passing by a neighbor's house where much construction is going on. My eye follows the trenched out sidewalk up to the door and what do I see? A huge rear end smashed up against the glass as someone is bent over apparently working on the floor inside. Much more flesh than pant. Framed just perfectly. I am still chuckling.

No comments: