Thursday, July 22, 2010

Check out those femurs!!

A couple years ago I tried to make the switch from regular old pedals on my bike to those fancy clip-in shoes.  I went to a local shop, talked to someone briefly, bought some shoes, clips, pedals and then took them home, rigged everything up (ok, Jon did that, not me) and then sat out in the back yard clinging to the tree while I tried to get my feet in and out of those clips.  I couldn't do it.  Could not do it.  I never even got my feet in the clips once.  So I took everything back off the bike (or Jon did) and trudged back up to the store and returned it. They were not pleased with me. 
So yesterday after my shoelaces got stuck in my pedals for the 976th time, nearly tossing me from my bike into traffic, and I decided it was time to try again, I was nervous.  But I stopped by NOW sports (a different store from last time) and had a chat with a lovely young man.  I told him I had tried and failed once- I needed their easiest set up and some coaching.  He was enthusiastic- but told me I had to come back with my bike- they were open until 8 and they would not let me leave the store until I had mastered the technique of getting out of my clips.  I gave him a brief overview of my tree hugging failure and he said that he could stand for a little overtime if it took longer than 8pm.
I wasn't able to return until 7, and I was nervous.  But then I walked in and the first guy I talked to put me entirely at ease.  The whole evening became a laugh fest with three employees eventually helping me, all of them making minor adjustments to my bike as we went through the stages of fitting me out.  They kept telling me that I needed to get my bike tuned up, but by the time I walked out the door we all agreed that I no longer needed to schedule one- they had all taken turns tweaking this or lubing that, and by the time I rolled out my bike was gleaming, and silent- far different than the creaky screecher I had ridden in on. The highlight of the evening was when they had me up on the trainer and one guy stood in front of me yelling "Don't look down!  You can't look down to click in- you'll hit a parked car!"  Then he looked down and said, "Whoa!  That bike is not sized correctly for you.  Your seat is way to low.  Wait- look at those femurs!  Bob!  Hey Bob!  Come over and check out her femurs!"  So Bob came over and checked out my femurs.  I suppose I should have been flattered- long legs are a positive thing on a woman, right?  But they were talking as if these femurs were freakish, and sure enough before long they had out a little measurer and were getting the stats on the femurs.  My femurs!  But we all had a laugh, they got my seat positioned correctly, and I finished up my lesson.  When I went to the register to pay they told me the tune-up and 'mini quick fix' were free, but I should return for the real deal sometime soon.  I will.  They have won my return business.  I rode out the door confidently just before 8. 

No comments: