Thursday, July 22, 2010

Feedback

For some reason I have been getting a lot of unsolicited feedback lately.  You see, I have been trying to figure out this problem with my right leg- an ache, a pain, a tightness all up and down the outside.  So I've seen a couple different PT's and doctors.  They all seem to be coming to the same conclusion.  I'll be lying on their table or sitting in a chair and they all have me push this way or that way with my foot or leg or whatever and we're chitchatting, talking about what hurts, how it hurts, when it hurts, and then...."Wow.  Wow.  You're weak.  Wow.  You have an extremely weak core."  I can't tell you how many times I've heard this.  I admit I am glad that they seem at least a little surprised.  But the awe in their voices at the extent of my weakness.  It can do something to the self-esteem.  And they just have no qualms about sharing this info with me.  Ok, whenever I go to a class at the Y and it's time to lay on our backs and do some ab work, sometimes I drift off, get distracted.  Then I refocus, notice everyone around me sweating and working it and realized I've been laying still, daydreaming.  It happens.  Apparently it's been happening my whole life!  But this latest PT has a plan- well, they all have, I just haven't followed through.  But this one is going to strengthen my core, fix my leg, and get my sticky rib to sink back into where it should be.  My left rib has stuck out for decades, and she's going to fix it.  I go in to see her again today after tackling her exercises for two weeks. I'm pretty sure she is going to still label me weak, I mean it's only been two weeks, but I'm hoping for at least a little less awe.  I will count that as progress.

No comments: