Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The bonds of childhood friends

The other night as Theo was getting ready for bed he was giving me the inside scoop about why he liked his friend Lowell so much.  Here's his monologue:  "It's just that Lowell and I are so much alike.  I mean, we both like nature so much.  We both have plans to live out in the woods when we are older.  And we love animals.  And we both think that money is what is corrupting the world."  That one caught my attention.  I had a little laugh to think about these sweet 8 year old boys bonding over money corrupting the world.  Not baseball, or worms, or even a shared love of noodles.  But the corrupting power of money.  I suppose Theo should know, because he has in his long and storied past fallen under money's captivating spell, wanting, needing, pining for the next thing he can buy.  But now that I think about it, we just got back from a trip to California without Theo spending too much time, and NO money, in gift shops.  Maybe a tide is turning.  I bet he wouldn't mind at all if we stopped giving him an allowance....

No comments: