Friday, January 7, 2011

Fact or fiction?

Last night as I was driving Eli and Theo, and their pal Theo (gets a little confusing at times...) home from fencing, we got a serious case of the giggles.  It started with pal Theo talking about the song Greensleeves.  He was telling some story about music class.  Eli then piped up from the back seat with something like, "You know, according to Dr. John Dee, Greensleeves was actually a code name for Queen...." he was just starting to get into a serious monologue when I interrupted and asked how he knew this.  From a book he was reading.  We mentioned to him that the book was fiction.  To which he asserted, "I DO know the difference between fact and fiction." and then jumped back into his Dr. John Dee speech which included the somewhat shady info that the good doctor was actually an 'immortal humani'.  So I then asked him if immortal humanis were fact or fiction and he yelled out 'FACT....Wait!  I mean fiction....wait! I got confused.'  Which seriously damaged my confidence in him as a fact finder.  Eli then took my phone and looked up Dr. John Dee, who supposedly was a confidant of some queen back in the day.  But not, it appears, an immortal humani because his death was centuries ago.  Somehow the conversation then changed to Anne Boleyn and from there to Marie Antoinette.  Friend Theo brought up the phrase 'Let them eat cake' to which Eli quietly added, "Actually, there are two words for cake in French and for some reason the word attributed to Marie Antoinette is the more common word, which makes one think..." That's where we intterupted him him, demanding a source.  He of course claimed another book of fiction.  We gave him more crap, which he clearly deserved, but I must say, the kid does have a good memory for trivial details.  We dropped off brother Theo at home to get a jump on his homework, and Eli rode along to friend Theo's to give me some company.  After dropping the second Theo, I was saying to Eli how much I enjoyed laughing with him, and that I loved his wit, and his ability to laugh at himself, and especially how he can come up with a quick...quick....quick....I just could NOT come up with the word 'rebuttal'.  On my fourth repetition of the word quick Eli just about died laughing because he knew, of course, what word I was looking for and loved the irony of the situation.  Which made me love him even more. 

No comments: