Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Purple Wax Perfection

I admit that I am somewhat of a cross-country skiing geek.  I'm not anything like some of those lycra-ed guys with the yellow lenses in their goggle/glasses (...jon...cough...) but I do know my kick waxes.  I am starting to feel like I am one of a dying breed of classic style skiers as everyone around me converts to skating, and I do skate ski when classic is impossible, but I try to stay true to my 17 year old pair of waxable skies.  I can walk outside in winter, take a sniff of the weather and tell you what wax would be best on your skies.  They come in a range from white (polar!) to the warmer tones in the rainbow- the reds and purples.  Each wax has a corresponding temperature range and if you put on the wrong wax  your ski turns into either a slip sliding dangerous flailing, or a sticky grudge with no glide whatsoever.  So you have to get it right.  Most waxes have a range of 10-15 degrees, but then there's the purple.  It is from -1 to 1 degree celsius.  There are not many purple wax ski days.  But when one rolls around, I hate to miss it.  Yesterday was a glorious purple wax day.  The sun was high and almost felt hot, there was no wind, and the snow was in top condition.  I didn't have time to sneak away to the woods somewhere so just bolted down to the golf course for an hour, but it was a lovely hour indeed.  In November when winter is just starting up, it's hard to believe that you would ever venture outside at 31 degrees in just a long underwear top- but indeed I did.  And I got sweaty.  Love that. 

Today looks like it will hit the purple zone in an hour or so, but by afternoon warm right over into the red zone.  I stay away from that- that red wax has the consistency of bubble gum and once it is on your skies you find it everywhere- your coat, your boots, your hair, your steering wheel. Plus, once we hit the red wax it means the snow is starting to melt, which hurts my heart.  Just checked- it's 25 and rising.  I have five degrees before go time!

No comments: