Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fruitshare

This winter we got an email from our CSA asking if we wanted to add a fruit share to our weekly delivery.  The price seemed kind of high given that they type of fruit you got each week is unknown.  But we were deep into a fruit-starved Minnesota winter and the thought of a box of freshly picked organic fruit showing up on our doorstep each week in deep summer was too hard to resist.  We wrote the check then settled back into the endless deep of this stunning winter, forgetting entirely about our committment to fresh produce.  This year's spring did not induce dreams of lazy summer days to come- it was spent huddling in the cold, with snow flying in late May, and June highs in the 50's.  But today, on one of those rainy 50 degree June days, our CSA delivered it's first boxes.  And on the back porch of some house in the Midway I found 12 pints of plump organic blueberries with my name on them.  12 pints.  Plus a box of greens, radishes, and the tenderest broccoli spears. I was elated.  I don't care how much we paid for this fruit share- the first of 8 deliveries has fulfilled my greatest expectations.  Theo and I polished off about a pint before everything was unpacked- two more await our breakfast cereal in the fridge, 5 are in the freezer for the future, and two are currently being baked into a pie.  There is nothing better than having more blueberries than you know what to do with! 

Of course, I am still hoping that our trip to that mystical island in the middle of Lake Namakon will correspond with the wild blueberry harvest- but if it doesn't, we've got a reserve already in the freezer. 

The next fruit box arrives in two weeks. Who knows what it will be, but my freezer has room, and I smell more pies on the horizon!

No comments: