Friday, May 24, 2013

Cliff Diving Gorillas and Substitute Pirates

For spring break, we decided to go back in time and relive my youth by taking a road trip to Snow Mountain Ranch in Colorado.  I have many fond memories of skiing at Winter Park and staying in the cabins at the Y camp.  So we loaded up my parents minivan with xc skis, boots, snow gear, my parents, and headed west.  After a night in a small motel in Nebraska, we awoke to a blizzard.  There would be no getting over the pass outside of Denver and to our cabin in the mountains.  We were lucky to make it to Denver.  It was hours of white knuckle driving.  With my mom getting antsier and antsier in the back of the van with Theo.  He took it like a champ.

As we rolled (slowly) into Denver I used my phone to find a cheap hotel for the night. Jean piped up from the back about a restaurant we had stopped at back in the 80s.  She remembered mexican food and cliff divers.  In a restaurant.  So I googled 'cliff diving restaurant' and sure enough it was still around, and just down the road!  I checked out the website and saw that they had a whole afternoon of 'shows' for our enjoyment.  If we stepped on it we could make it not just for a cliff diver, but for cliff diving GORILLAS.  What?  We stepped on it.  Further scrutiny of the website showed that the 2pm cliff diving show had a little asterisk by it.  I looked at the key to see what the asterisk could possibly denote and sure enough found out that on weekends, *Substitute pirates.  What?  There were substitute pirates?  That so beats being a substitute teacher.  

We didn't make it in time for the gorilla.  We did see the substitute pirates, and I see why they are not the real ones.

But the cliff divers were young and brave and a little bit funny.  And the faux tropic environment plus never ending basket of chips was just what we needed after driving through hours of swirling white.

No comments: