Thursday, June 27, 2013

Yahoo!

My student, who I wrote about earlier in terms of his reading test struggles, made it to graduation.  He never passed that test.  We took him on an end run around that obligation by working with a anxiety diagnosis.  It was legit.  Because the kid can read.  Shortly after the testing fiasco, he and I read Antigone together and he got it and loved it.  So there.  But the bigger news is that he managed to cross every last t and dot all the i's and get out of Avalon with a diploma.  On time.  He told me he wasn't going to come to our graduation ceremony as his family couldn't make it and he hates crowds. So we surprised him with a guerilla ceremony.  And it was lovely.  My aunt, who had been tutoring him, made it, as well as his coach and mentor, Buzz Lagos.  We gathered our advisory and other interested students and presented him with his diploma.  Then we clapped long and hard.  He deserved it.  One of my happiest days of teaching in quite a while.

No comments: