Saturday, July 28, 2007

Circus Juventas

(photo from Circus Juventas website)
Our family just went to the annual show of Circus Juventas. It was once again completely awe-inspiring. We are so lucky that there is a big top just down the road from us! This circus is in the 'Cirque Du Soleil' style- but all the performers are under about age 21, with the vast majority in high school. Every year I am absolutely stunned at what these kids can do. They are so strong, flexible, confident, and trusting. To watch them work as a team to launch people into the air off a teeterboard, or catch each other on the swinging trapeze causes me to get goosebumps. Ok, and teary-eyed. I admit. I have to, because this year I was busted as we were exiting by Mark Fabel, who was also a little red in the eye, I must declare.

I am fully convinced that the kids who go through this are really set for life. I mean, if they can perform these amazing feats, I just know that they are ready for any challenge life throws them.
If I'm not careful here I might accidentally step on to my "Rite of Passage" soapbox. Ok, I guess I'm already on it, but I'll keep it short. It is my belief that in our ginormous American society it is absolutely impossible to 'initiate' all of our youth to adulthood in a similar type manner. So many many youth miss out on any type of rite of passage, and linger in adolescence for ages. One article I read about this put the AVERAGE end of adolescence for modern American men at FORTY-FIVE! (Does that ring true for anyone?) Anyway- many youth stumble upon their own rite of initiation into adulthood, through summer camps, volunteering, or something wonderful like Circus Juventas. Here is a perfect example of an organization that takes youth, presents them with a wonderfully talented pool of elders, gives them instructions and teaches new skills, and then challenges them in a rather extreme way. And then they hold these wonderful performances which also serve as celebrations for the youth involved.

I could go on and on, but what I really want to say is: Go see the show!! The season ends on Aug. 12 and many shows are already sold out. http://www.circusjuventas.org/

No comments: