Sunday, March 23, 2008

You so emabarrass me, take two

Today at church, Jon slipped the cloth grocery bag that held the kids' art supplies on to his back in a makeshift type backpack. Eli, walking behind Jon, looked up and said, "You are SO embarrassing me Dad." Jon mentioned this to good old Pastor Harvey at the end of the service and Harvey's twinkly-eyed quote was: "He's just going to have to get over it!" I liked that.

I know something else that would so embarrass Eli if he knew about it. Here's my secret: Some days when I am walking to school at 3:30 to pick up the boys, I get to the top of the hill at Niles and Brimhall and I can't help but skip down. It is the type of hill that just offers itself up for skipping. And given the grade and the sometimes icy conditions, the skipping can get a little wild. I always slow down and get myself back to a controlled walk by the time I am across the street from Expo where the kids going out to the busses can see me. But I am sure I have been busted by more than a handful of parents who are on their way to pick up their kids. Oh well. I have never had a skipping session that hasn't elevated my mood and plastered a smile on my face- and there just aren't enough opportunities to skip in this life. Unless you are Theo. He has recently rediscovered the lost art (and I do mean lost, he had it back in preschool, but then lost it and has been dilegently working on the logistics for at least a year) and lets fly with a wild skip anytime he can. He is currently skipping around the dining room table as I type this. Theo has this particularly jubilant way of skipping. He gets the non-hopping leg way up in the air, his upper body rotates about 90 degrees, and his arms flail out to either side. It's a wonder he doesn't injure himself or others. But I defy anyone who sees him skip to deny the smile that is playing on their lips. It brings back these memories of the days when a walk through the slushy parking lot from the grocery store door to the car was not a slog, but an opportunity to skip. We should all do it more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.