Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Amish Friends

The crew of the Amish Envy Club came together at Jason and Shannon's house for the last project of year one- and I like to think we ended on a high note. The weather was perfect, the work not too strenuous but very rewarding, and the importation of two cooks from the outside world was genius. As the sun set and most of us relaxed in the fresh new dining room with a big plate of pasta and a glass of wine, Jeff wandered around with a drill putting up the hardward for curtain rods. I think that is a good sign that we reached some level of completion. I have a bet on how long the tape will remain around the base of the light fixture, but really, the house was livable by sunset. And then the sun went down and the kids went wild playing "Ghosts in the Graveyard" out back. I really mourn the lack of time my kids get to play out in the dark with a pack of kids. My childhood was a constant round of "Ditch" -a complicated team-based tag game that involved tense moments of hiding in the dark. I loved it, but it just doesn't happen in our current neighborhood. I loved the drive home with the kids chanting "ghosts in the graveyard...." with dirt-smeared smiles gleaming from the backseat. They anxiously await the next round of workprojects so that they can gather with the gang again. Here are some shots of their daytime trip to the sculpture garden with Jon and Joe.


No comments: