Sunday, December 20, 2009

I just don't get them, Mom!

Last week at school Theo was in the 'music' rotation for resource class. Normally this is not his favorite. Science tops his list with gym a close second. But last week in music the topic was folk dancing. You might think this would give a second grade boy the heebie-jeebies. Not Theo. On Tuesday he came home from school, sat down for a snack and gave me this speech:

Mom, I just do NOT get the boys in my class. I mean they do NOT like to be paired with a girl during folk dancing in music. They won't do it- they kind of freak out. Me? When it comes time to pair up for the dance I make CERTAIN that I am between two girls so that I will end up with one for sure! Today it was Caroline. She is the greatest. We laughed so hard....

Throughout the week he continued to come home shaking his head at the stupidity of his fellow male classmates. They just did not get it. He on the other hand had manuevered his way into dancing with Lucy, then Caroline again, over to Maddie, back to Lucy- each partner carefully and skillfully pre-identified and then the teacher's choosing methodology slyly and quietly manipulated to land him in the arms of the girl of the moment.

Second grade. Oh boy.

No comments: