Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Post-Dinner Pronouncements

Tonight after a nice dinner conversation that centered around math and how much both of my sons enjoy their math classes, as Theo was working his way over to help me with dishes, he stopped in the middle of the kitchen, cleared his throat and made this pronouncement: "I have learned something over MUCH time. And I have studied this for MUCH time." Pause. "Older brothers NEVER get in trouble." At this point, Eli, the elder statesman of this particular brotherhood, injected his much studied theory.

"NO. As a matter of fact it is YOUNGER brothers who never get in trouble. The older brother always gets in trouble."

Theo respectfully disagreed. I then took the two of them by the scruffs of their necks and said, "Let me tell you two something that I have learned over MUCH years-forty of them. That is that it is the MIDDLE child who always gets blamed for everything."

To my astonishment, both of them readily agreed. And then from Theo:

"Yeah, and I am the middle brother in this family."

"No, I am the middle brother!"

Apparently there is a need for more studying on this issue. That, and some more work with numbers.

No comments: