Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sugar high

Last week one day after school our lovely babysitter (and I do mean lovely) took the kids to SuperAmerica after school. They each got to pick out a treat. Theo chose a grab bag of Doritos. He told me later that he had every intention of saving some for me, but he didn't know what happened. He looked in at one point and they were gone. Believe me, I understand. Eli chose one of those slurpee things- Mountain Dew flavored. This is a kid who does not consume any caffiene in day to day life. Rebecca noted that she was not sure if he should have the dew. But he did. And a few hours later, as he was sitting quietly and reading in his favorite comfy chair, I walked by and heard him mutter under his breath, "I think I'm having a sugar high." Then he kept right on quietly reading. I looked real closely to see if there were any indicators of such a sugar high- and sure enough, he might have been turning those pages a little more quickly, and perhaps with a little extra flair. It made me chuckle. Sugar high. Just imagine if Theo had consumed the mountain dew. yikes. But later that night it did become apparent that old Eli was revved up a little higher than usual. He couldn't sleep. He wasn't bouncing off the walls, jumping in bed, or anything like that. Just laying there rather peacefully, but with his eyes wide open, and anytime Jon or I wondered past we'd get a whispered, "Guys. I can't sleep. I'm kind of jittery." Then nothing. But the eyes stayed open til almost midnight, well beyond his usual bedtime. Thankfully the next day showed no signs of a 'sugar low'. He took his short night in stride- but did make a vow to avoid the dew in the future... or atleast consume it a little earlier in the day. I love that his sugar high only caused him to read a bit more quickly.

No comments: