Friday, March 25, 2011

A funny little Max story

Earlier this week, my boys spent the night at their grandparents with their cousins from Prior Lake.  The next day the plan was for me to collect my 3 year old nephew Max and then meet the pack at Como Zoo for an outing.  I was lucky enough to get Max a few hours before the zoo roundevouz so I got some one-on-one Max time.  This is hard to come by.  Usually my Max time has to be shared with my boys, or my parents, or his dads, and the kid has NO time for me.  I am so clearly second or third or fourth fiddle. 
But Wednesday morning he was mine.  We went up to the boys room and took all of their toys down from the baskets on the bookshelves.  I was planning to combine some good sorting/organizing time with my Max watching stint.  Although organizing anything as Max moves through the toys is a challenge.  At one point I was de-tangling a bunch of Theo's necklaces and one caught Max's eye.  It had a glass pendant on it with a small scorpion inside the glass.  We had a long talk about if the scorpion was dead or fake- Max had quite a few scientific theories about how you could tell.  And then he looked up at me with excitement in his eyes and said, "I know another place where you can find bugs in glass!  In your lights!  Come on!  I'll show you!"  He then took me on a tour of our overhead light fixtures.  He pointed to the one in the hallway and said, "This one has lots!" then dramatically flipped on the light for the big reveal.  Sure enough.  Lots of dead flies.  Then on to the light on the landing.  "Only two here!"  Then the flip and the reveal...and so on around the house.  He's apparently been keeping a running total of our bug 'collection' on his weekly visits to our house. At one point during the tour he said over his shoulder, kind of conspiratorially, "You know, Grandma Jean does say that there are ways to clean these out."

No comments: