Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Marketing voodoo

First of all, on this, the day after Halloween, I want to put it on the record that I am on to the shrinking of the 'fun size' candy bar.  And it ain't funny.

Also.  Today I bought one of those yoga balls for Theo to use at school (long story).  I decided to get one that advertised 'weighted stabilizing technology'.  I thought this might prevent it from rolling around his classroom.  And I do think it was the right purchase.  But that 'weighted stabilizing technology' I paid extra for?  Sand.  Sand.  It did make me chuckle.  Eli, in his pneumonia-induced weakened state could not even crack a smile at this hijacking of language to make a sale.  Makes me realize the kid is still sick.

Eli just read this and said, "Let's break it down Mom.  Weighted.  Does sand have mass?  Yes!  Therefore it is weighted.  Stabilizing.  Does the sand stabilize it?  Yes!  Technology.  Technology is something that solves a problem.  Is the ball rolling around the classroom a problem?  Yes!  Does the sand solve it? Yes!  Is the sand therefore technology?  Yes!  I don't see what your problem is Mom."  Me neither.  Me neither.

No comments: