Friday, October 26, 2012

Summer laughs

Toward the end of summer the boys and I were hanging out in the evening when Theo got suddenly desirous of a swim.  The Highland pool was within days of closing for the season, and within less than an hour of closing for the evening, but we decided to hightail it down there for one last swim anyway.  When we arrived at the pool storm clouds were gathering to the west and it was nearly deserted.  But the boys quickly dropped their towels, shoes, and in Eli's case, glasses, and hurried off toward the slide.  Before they got there they were stopped by a young male guard.  He asked them some question and I saw them nod yes and then change directions.  They walked hesitantly toward a different guard tower and then detoured over toward me.

Eli sidled up to me and said, "Mom, that guard told us to go tell some other guard that she looked like a buffoon, but I don't have my glasses on and I can't tell who we were supposed to find."  Theo, for his part, was keeping a distance from this business, despite his 20/20 vision.  He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. Just then the original guard came up and pointed the boys towards a tower by the main pool.  The boys marched over and I watched a quick exchange.  The accosted guard was laughing heartily as my boys darted away. 

While the boys were happily sloshing down the slide, I was approached by a lovely young woman life guard who was still chuckling.  She was just a peach- adorable and sun tanned and giggling. About 5 years older than Eli.  She asked if the boy in the orange swim trunks was mine.  Indeed.  She said that after Eli told her that another guard had said to tell her she looked like a buffoon she had countered with, "Oh, but you don't think that I look like a buffoon, do you?"  To which my suave son replied, "I have NO idea, I don't have my glasses on." And then waddled away in his particularly awkward wet swimsuit walk.  Smooth Eli, smooth!

No comments: