Monday, June 2, 2014

School Conferences Take #22

Another round of school conferences have come and gone.  At OWL, like Expo, the kids are in charge of walking us through how things are going.  They do an excellent job- summing up both their greatest accomplishments, as well as touching on areas where they could improve.  It's lovely.  Adults hardly say a word.

This year, Theo, who a few years back went through a bout of serious school-based anxiety, summed up his conference by saying, "I feel like I've really found my home here."  Ahhh.  What more could the parent of a middle schooler ask for?  Well, I guess the fact that he is well-loved by his whole multi-aged crew, from fellow 6th graders to graduating seniors.  The kids care for each other.  Just last Friday, Theo was a bit sad as he headed out the door for the bus.  I asked what was up.  He said, "It's Derek's last day.  He is so nice.  It's just not going to be the same without him."  To think that before Theo started at OWL I was worried about the 'influence' the seniors and other older students might have on him.  They've been nothing but fabulous role models, and better yet, good friends.

No comments: