Friday, June 5, 2009

Beautiful

As I walked into Expo this am for my normal Friday am volunteer shift I noticed a couple of large speakers wired up and facing the flagpole field. I wondered if they had been accidentally left out from the fun run the previous evening- but no, about 5 minutes into the day Ulla began to usher Theo's class outside for the (apparently) annual all school group dance. I finished up a task I was working on, debating if I should continue to enter homework into the gradebook or go out and check it out. Then Sam A turned up late and was a little panicked that he could not find the class. I walked him out and found the flagpole field jam packed with 700 kids. They were lined up roughly by grade level, eyes eagerly on Ms. Bev Stoffels, the gym teacher (only they call it BK now for Bodily Kinistetic- this generation is so technically minded). The little kindergartners in the front were literally bouncing with excitement (yep- I'm talking about Haakon- he was adorably fired up) while in the back some of the sixth graders were striving for looks of practiced boredom. But then old Bev cranked up the volume and the Cha-Cha Slide boomed out over the kids. I didn't see a single one who could resist it. There were 700 kids- from all types of families and backgrounds and ethnicities and cultures- all grooving to the latest (probably not THE latest, because even I know about it) hip hop dance hit. From hip hop they slid into the Macarena and then finished up with a triumphant version of the great gay anthem 'YMCA'. I loved hearing all the kids belting out "Young Man!" while they swiveled their hips and got ready for the big chorus. Let it be known that the teachers were having a blast. I got teary eyed. Don't let my kids know, they'd be embarrassed. But to see the entire huge group grooving away to these songs, throwing cool to the wind in favor of just plain energetic fun, made my day.

1 comment:

amy b said...

i wish I could have been there--choked up.