Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Growing up

Theo's second front tooth has been hanging by a thread for weeks. This weekend, after fortifying himself with 253 swedish pancakes (they are thin), he stood up on his breakfast chair, grabbed the dangling tooth, and gave it a good tug. His astonishment when the tooth popped out nearly toppled him from the chair. He danced around the house tooth in hand and tongue pressed through the big opening in his mouth.
By nighttime he was a bit more reflective about the whole experience. He had tucked his tooth under his pillow and then accosted me in the hallway. "Mom. I know who the tooth fairy is." Uh-oh. "It's Milo's dad." Whew. He went on to explain the complicated logic behind his deduction. I agreed that it sure sounded like Milo's dad was indeed the fairy in question. Then he went off to find Jon. Apparently as he explained it to Jon he began to doubt his theory. Jon said that his face clouded a bit and then Theo said, "Well, actually I think there might be a tooth fairy in every family, and I'm feeling a little embarrassed right now because I think I might be talking to the one in this family...." Whereupon he took off to bed, hand reflexively darting underneath the pillow to check his stash. Jon found me and whispered that the gig was up.
But is it? Theo woke up several times that night, each time dancing into our room and stage whispering, "I can't sleep!! Do you think I should check to see if the fairy has come yet????" When morning finally arrived he bounded in and jumped onto the bed, shiny coin in hand, tongue busy working the empty spot, and a grin a mile wide.

No comments: