Thursday, June 25, 2009

Localvor-acious

I am a locovore wannabe. I really really love the idea of only eating food that is grown locally. But the reality is that we are in Minnesota and I would weep throughout the winter, dreaming of fruit. I know that there are canning techniques I could learn, but I guess the bottom line is that I want to be a locovore and I want it to be easy. Which is not going to happen. But summer is upon us and today I had the most delicious salad with the tastiest greens and strawberries- all from our garden. I did have to wrestle the berries practically out of the beaks of a few grackles which have been picking us clean, but I did come away with a handful. And tonight when we pulled into the garage we could see the beacon-like glow of the first red raspberries. Of course, that deep red color is a beacon for me as well as for the entire local society of vermin and fowl, but I have already managed to pop a handful of ripe ones in my mouth, still warm from the sun. And right now Jon is downstairs washing and storing box #2 from the CSA we decided to join for the season. I'm proud to report that we managed to eat all of box 1 the first week AND we could identify everything that was in it. Today I had to take a guess on one of the greens- I think it was the beginning of the soon to be dreaded Swiss Chard- but this first batch looks delicious. That lunchtime salad still makes me smile- it was just so dang lively. Here's to eating local! In the summer. When it's convenient. So I'm a lackluster locovore- but tonight I am a happy one.

No comments: