Friday, October 29, 2010

The harvest is over, I fear

Last night it really froze hard.  The basil that had been bravely blowing in the wind over the past few chilly days is now shriveled and dead.  Luckily I have a freezer full of pesto to remind us of summer in the months ahead.  One of the last things we pulled out were our carrots.  I am never good at thinning my 'crops' to the suggested spacing intervals.  I always feel like more = more even though I do somewhat understand the concept of crowding and such.  So our carrot harvest is always a surprise.  We get a few that run straight and true and look like something you might buy at the store (but taste SO much better) but most of them are short stunted little fellows.  This year we had one whopper of a surprise when we pulled up this mammoth mother of all carrots.  It was not really the length that was inspiring- but its circumference and just general heft.  I think it could have made a pot of carrot soup all by its lonesome. 

No comments: