Saturday, October 16, 2010

A little tidbit

I was in the back of Eli's classroom the other day doing a little work for the teacher while all of the kids were sitting up front listening to her mini-lesson about plot in writing.  She asked a few questions about the difference between the plot of a picture book and that of a novel.  The students were all mostly involved, answering questions, asking their own.  Then the teacher asked, 'What about poetry?  Does poetry have plot?'  Eli raised his hand and was called upon.  "Well, it depends, something like an epic poem, say like the Illiad by Homer, that definitely has plot..."  And I'm in the back wondering how in the world he knows about the Illiad.  I'm and English major for goodness sakes and have yet to read it.  I knew from the start of this parenting business that at some point these guys would pass me by in math.  I was not prepared for it to happen in about 2nd grade math with this dumb new lattice method of multiplication, which I just do NOT get, but whatever, I knew the day would come.  But I thought I would have a little more leeway with English.  Wishful thinking, I guess.

No comments: