Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I await the rebellion

I thought that this was going to be the year- the year of the Valentine Rebellion. A couple months ago I was listening to Kevin Kling's essay about Valentines and the politics involved in divying up the pre-made cards amongst your classmates. I remember that- how there were only about 4 different sayings and you had to choose where those all-powerful 'Be My Valentines' would go. The decisions were tough and I remember intense feelings of regret as I dropped a few cards through the slots of the boxes lined up on the radiator at school. But at least I had store bought cards!! Those poor kids who had to make their own!!
I was sure that this year as the calendar swung closer to Feb. 14 the boys would put in a push to get store bought cards. But no, once again they were eager to go to ArtScraps, buy random materials and then get the assembly line going. What I love about my boys is that they have set the bar very low for what a homemade valentine needs to look like. In years past I have pulled homemade numbers out of their shoeboxes that obviously come from homes where someone is a scrapbook-er. They are intense and surely involved hot glue guns, steam presses, and 3 figure budgets. Not so the cards that originate from this kitchen table. After trying to control the process for 37 seconds, I took a deep breath, let go, and then sat back and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Both boys were in high spirits and the fun loving banter kept me chuckling. Our cards lack 'luster', but certainly have some home grown charm. At least in their mother's eyes.

No comments: