Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wordsmiths

Theo has recently fallen in love with the word plumber. He learned to spell it and for some reason it speaks to him more strongly than most other words. Plumb-er is how he says it now. Or sometimes plumb-ber. He recently declared it is what he is going to be when he grows up. I guess I can be thankful he hasn't fallen in love with other musical and appealing words- say giggalo.

Eli, he continues to fish around in his fairly spectacular vocabulary and hook just the right word for each occasion. Here's an excerpt from something he said yesterday: "Mr. Mark's sister came in to talk to our class about a book that she had written. It takes place in the past- not super long ago, but awhile. I didn't know that she was going to dress up like a character in her book, so when I walked in and saw her in this fancy skirt and these little gloves, I thought 'boy is she posh'." Boy is she posh?? And I can guarantee that he does not know this word because he was a big fan of the Spice Girls, although I do think that might have been their one great contribution to society- introducing the masses to the concept of what it is to be posh. Or Posh. No, they were before his time and even though old Posh and Mr. Posh make the news every now and then, Eli is not seeing it. That kid hears a word somewhere and it gets lodged in that brain of his, and then when he needs it, there it is, on the tip of his tongue. "And I said to myself, boy is she posh." Really? What other things do you say to yourself?

No comments: