Friday, February 13, 2009

On second thought

I just took a hot shower, and now that I am a little warmer, I'm thinking to myself, you know, it's just possible that maybe when I wrote that last entry about life in Antigua, maybe I forgot to take off my rose-colored sunglasses. So, in attempt to be a little more fair toward my home state, here are some of the things that were not so hot about life in the Caribbean:
  • It was hot. Always. I was consistently dehydrated and sweating.
  • My name, in most people's eyes was simply 'White Lady Teacher'. Not many people knew me as Gretchen. Or Gret for that matter.
  • There were tarantulas. I never saw one alive, but the dead smashed ones on the road gave me the creeps.
  • The roads.
  • There were centipedes. Bigger than the tarantulas.
  • There was a glue trap for mice behind our fridge. Since it was hard to get to the store to get new traps, we always used the one we had for all it was worth. There was a mixed bag of mice back there, from those that were beginning to decay to those that were still making soft little pathetic screeching noises. And everything in between.
  • I did not get to take a hot shower for two years.
  • I saw both jellyfish and sharks while swimming in that turguoise water.
  • Jon was my hair stylist.

That last one should pretty much sum up everything else that I might be forgetting. I'd like to forget that one, but everytime I look at a picture from that era, there's the reminder. I looked good.

Ok, I feel a little more even-handed now. Perhaps someday soon I'll get to put on the rose-colored sunglasses here in MN. Someday?

No comments: