Thursday, September 2, 2010

"And I'm thinking to myself..."

Eli and Theo spent last week at daycamp out at St. Croix.  Eli is now old enough to be invited to sleep over on Thursday evening.  Thursdays are the 'parent nights' when families come out for a cookout and to watch the skits.  Despite the risk of being labeled a cynical bad parent, I will go on record as saying the parent nights are never my favorite.  Oh, I love seeing my kid on stage, but I can confidently say that those skits have been performed for well over 30 years.  They were already old when I was doing them as a camper.  And the cookout does have potato chips- but the rest of the fare is very uninspired.  When I was a counselor the family nights used to be potlucks and we looked forward to them all week!  Families brought much better food than that produced in the camp kitchen.  I still remember the spread of desserts with fondness.  But now we're so scared of litigation in case some gets food poisoning (this is a theme for me lately) that potlucks are becoming a thing of the past.

Anyway, back to Eli and his overnight.  On Wednesday evening over supper I was asking him if he knew anything about the upcoming overnight.  Here's his response:  "Yeah, they told us that when everyone leaves camp we will set up our tents, then play some games, then make s'mores.  And I'm thinking to myself, 'Malnutrition!  What kind of dinner is s'mores?'"  Then he broke out in a grin and said, "Clearly I forgot that it was family night!"  I kind of love the fact that his first thought, when faced with the prospect of s'mores for dinner was 'malnutrition!'.  My first thought was yum. 

No comments: