Monday, September 27, 2010

How are you people so calm???

On Sunday we were expecting our new foreign exchange student son to show up around 7:30.  Theo covertly kept a close eye on the front street starting around 6:15.  He'd walk by and do a sweep up and down the street, looking for the van with the "P.I.E." (pacific intercultural exchange) sticker on the side.  As the minutes ticked by he was amping up a bit, getting a little more touchy, and by 7 he was into his climbing mode- standing on the arm of the couch and then launching himself on unsuspecting parents as they walked by.  At 7:30 he finally broke, coming up to the windows, scanning, then turning toward me, grabbing my hands, looking in my eyes and yelling, "How are you people so calm?????"  Of course, I wasn't, I was also freaking out about this impending new development in our lives, but I wasn't brave enough to admit it like Theo.  But I didn't tell him that.  I just smiled and continued my own covert reconnaissance of the street.

Luckily Ildar arrived before 8 saving us all from nervous breakdowns.  And our first impressions make us think we are pretty darn lucky- he seems like a keeper.  And no rabbit allergy issues have surfaced as yet.  Of course, he's only been with us 24 hours, and has been gone at school and a volunteer gig for much of that- but still, it's looking like it might work.

No comments: